Candle magick is a beautiful beacon for the energy that surrounds us. Lit candles help create a mystical and magickal atmosphere during any ritual or meditation. They inherently draw on the transformative power of fire in addition to the custom correspondences we have put in each creation.
Many practitioners use candles to enhance their magick, be they spell candles or invocation candles. A lot of times these terms are used interchangeably, but there are a few important differences to know. Spell candles, usually but not always, are intended for a specific action. They are colored, scented, anointed, and charged all with that specific action in mind. These actions correspond to specific spells…like love, healing, and wealth. I tend to think of spell candles as specialist tools.
Invocation Candles are typically a little more general. These are multi-use workhorses that are directed by compatibility with your intent. Think of our Raising Energy Candle. How many different kinds of spells, rituals, and meditations do you need to raise energy for? I would say all of them! You can raise love and healing energy for your specific spell; you can raise personal energy during your morning meditation to help you get through the day. An invocation candle is a tool for you to use, rather than a specific ingredient that will make or break your task.
Our Invocation Candles utilize custom blends of essential oils, botanicals, and crystals to draw the power of the spiritual realm and natural world. We design every candle ourselves and research the correspondences of everything in the candle to help in as many magickal ways as possible. Personally, I am not the kind of witch that likes to be told how to set up my altar or that I need dozens of specific candles in specific sizes on hand to work this or that spell. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of candles at my house! But they are there because I want them to be, not because a book said so.
So how do you use Invocation Candles? Any way you want really. Like I said before, it’s all about your intentions. Your imagination is the limit!
- After you’ve gotten up and dressed for the day, but before coffee (I know…don't freak out) pick out a candle that fits the direction you want to go for the day. Sit in a comfortable position and light your candle.
- Turn your attention to your breathing. Keep it even, but you don’t have to worry about anything special here. Just notice the pattern of your breath, feel it enter and leave your body.
- Keep your eyes on the candle flame as you breathe. Listen to the soft crackle of the fire. Feel the chair (or floor) beneath you. Just focus on your senses and let your thoughts calm. Don’t beat yourself up if stray thoughts pop up. Give them the attention they need and let them drift into the background.
- Do this sensory focus for about five minutes to start each day with a sense of calm connection to your body and the world around you. Leave the candle burning while you get up and continue your morning routine (coffee…finally!) as a reminder of your meditation, but don’t forget to extinguish before leaving!
Simple Intentions Candle Magick
- Grab your candle and a comfortable spot to sit.
- Focus your mind on your intentions…what you want to come of this magick
- Keep your focus as you light the candle
- Believe in the magick and push it into the fire
- Extinguish the flame, with gratitude to the energy around you for its help, and watch the smoke carry your intentions into the universe.
DIY Candle Meditation
- Sit comfortably in a dimly lit room with the candle of your choice located on a table or far enough away that you don’t have to twist your neck to see it. Light the candle.
- The process is very simple; simply stare at the candle flame. Let your breathing deepen and your muscles relax as you watch the flame. Think of nothing but the fire
- You can sit like this for as little as 5 minutes or as long as you want.
- Build the meditation in a similar fashion to the above candle magick and add some intentions to the fire.
- Visualize the flame burning away the negativity of the day that clings to you.
- Visualize the flame as a source of love and light, radiating through the room, your home, and your very body.
Hopefully, I have given you enough information to help your candle magick practice. Remember, magick is what you make it and really any candle can be used for anything you want. Need a super-fast candle spell but don’t have one of those fancy tiny tapers from the occult shop…use a birthday candle or tea candle! Need to cast a spell to find a new job, that spell candle you found that feels perfect is the one for you!
Got any special tips for candle magick you want to share? Drop them in the comments, we’d love to hear them!